Friday, July 15, 2022

The Humbling Party Hat

As we were stepping out of the car, I noticed a stack of party hats in my 5 year-old granddaughter's hand.  In my adult, mature, wise tone, I suggested that maybe she should leave them in the car since we were headed into the sacred sanctuary for her three older brother's baptisms.  Not to be swayed by my opinion, she ignored my voice and marched straight ahead.  

There were the boys, already white-robed for the occasion, sitting on the front row.  There was celebration in the air.  It was a joyous day...a day they had prepared for.  They had each asked their Dad (and pastor) if they could be baptised when he had offered the opportunity to the congregation.  They had carefully memorized their statement of faith:

                    "I believe in God the Father, Almighty Maker of heaven and earth,
                    I believe in Jesus Christ God's only son, Savior of all,
                    I believe in the Holy Spirit poured out on all flesh and lives in my heart,
                    I reject the devil's temptations and accusations,
                    I confess that I have sinned and need a Savior,
                    I confess that Jesus is Lord and believe in my heart that God has raised him from the dead."

As Radley sat down, she offered the boys the party hats.  Maccabee was overjoyed.  You see,  these three boys have personalities all their own.  Kezek, gentle and tender, and Ryser, with depth and discernment, both for whatever reason, didn't take their sister's offer of the hats.  Maccabee, however, is an in-the-moment kind of guy.  He IS a party.  He IS a celebration.  He was more than thrilled to wear his exuberance on his head!

As I sat in the row behind him, uncontrollale tears streamed down my face.  My heart was already in awe that they had made the important decision to follow Jesus in these early years.  The Spirit gently reminded me that unless I also "become like little children, I will never enter the kingdom of Heaven."  (Matthew 18:3). That is why Jesus was indignant with his disciples when they tried to interfere with the children coming to Him.  He told them to "Let the children come to me.  Don't stop them!  For the Kingdom of God belongs to those who are like these children."  (Mark 10:14)   At least my years of experience have taught me to pay attention when the Lord disciplines me and when He teaches me lessons.

"Lord, please forgive me for being so adult.  Please give me a heart like these children.  Give me their enthusiasm and eagerness to celebrate the most important things in life.  Give me a pure open heart like Maccabee's, so that I can better represent your kingdom on earth.  Give me a passion for a party so that your love can be spread in our world that so desparately needs you.  Amen"






No comments:

Post a Comment

336-681-2791 janice.spainhour@gmail.com

Call or email me anytime for questions about real estate or any properties!