Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Daddy

Every summer about this time, my thoughts turn to fatherhood.  My dad, at 97, continues to make his mark in history.  When I think about my earliest memories, he is there, offering wisdom, protection, advice, autonomy....but most of all, unconditional love.  He was always a rock, so consistent and dependable.  Although he was small in stature, he was so tall in courage.  He never said much about his height, but faced life with a rugged determination, boldness and confidence that he could do anything with God's help.  He had one solid purpose, and that was to be a disciple of Jesus Christ.  For him, it was a singleness of purpose and everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, was centered around that.  He was called to preach, and that is what he did.  He was the same at home as he was in public.  I never saw a single discrepancy.

Another thing that impacted me a lot was his crazy adoration of my mom... we never questioned that.  It was a part of who he was.  It was only secondary to his covenant with Jesus, and he never waivered in his faithfulness of either.  He took care of her just like he took care of us.  Something solid is formed in a child's mind and heart when there is a circle of love at home and the father takes his leadership role seriously.

My oldest grandson went to church camp this week.  For the first time, he realized that not everyone had the fortune of a loving family home life.  And it broke his heart.  And it breaks my heart too.  I wish all children had the kind of daddy that I have.  I just know that there would be so much less pain in the world if that were true. 

Because of who my dad is, my relationship with God has been rolled out like red carpet.   My earthly dad has shown me what my heavenly Father is like. He knew how to give good gifts to his children and he did it often.  It wasn't until I was grown that I realized we weren't wealthy.  I grew up thinking  I was the richest kid in the world.  And I truly did have need of nothing.

Today, my dad has to depend on others for his total physical care.  Yet in his heart of hearts, he is not anxious, fearful or angry.  He simply rests.  My sister and I often get undue accolades because we care for him in his home.  Really?    We are the ones who are truly honored to still be in his sweet presence.  Even now, his blessing to family, friends and caregivers is a treasure that is a rare gem!
I can tell you that I would not trade this life for any other in this world.

Happy Father's Day, Dads!  Rise to the occasion!  You can change the world just by being a godly dad!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! What a wonderful, blessed gift to have a godly father. Our world would be so different if more men sought our heavenly Father's character and loved Him like your Dad.

    ReplyDelete

336-681-2791 janice.spainhour@gmail.com

Call or email me anytime for questions about real estate or any properties!